Work doesn’t have to be tedious…it doesn´t have to be a drag. As a business owner, I know first-hand because we have what you would call a fun workplace (just ask my staff!). But why is this important?
I´m a firm believer that if you can make things fun at work, everything will be nicer. It’s not just about lightening the mood; it’s about creating a space where everyone—myself, the team, and our valued customers—feels a little brighter. And that, in turn, creates a virtuous circle.
Contrary to what you might think, infusing ‘fun’ into the daily grind isn’t a walk in the park. However, research has shown that creating a fun workplace has many benefits, so I think every business owner with a team should know about it and consider how to do this in their business. In this article, we explore the serious business of keeping things light-hearted!
The benefits of a fun workplace
When the workplace is buzzing with positivity, the benefits are plenty:
- Increased Productivity: Believe it or not, 96% of executives are on board with the idea that a dose of fun supercharges productivity!
- Improved Creativity: A study from Cornell University spilled the beans that fun increases creativity.
- Better Sales: It´s not surprising that people like and trust you more if you smile. In fact, one company saw a 15% increase in sales just by hiring a theatre director to teach them how to flash those pearly whites.
- Reduced Stress and Tension: Laughter is the best medicine, and a relaxed atmosphere keeps the stress monsters at bay.
- Enhanced Team Spirit and Teamwork: When the vibes are good, the team spirit soars, and collaboration hits a high note.
- Improved Employee Retention: Who wouldn’t want to stick around in a place that feels like a second home? Statistics have shown that people who like their workplace and colleagues stay considerably longer in a company.
- Increased Morale: A happy environment is like a morale-boosting potion – it lifts the spirits and keeps the energy flowing.
- Better Communication: When the air is light, the conversations flow smoother, and understanding deepens. The result? A productive and effective working environment!
If you haven´t guessed already, the combined impact of the above results in:
- Everyone in your business is happier!
- The business itself is more successful!
How to create a fun workplace
While I want my workplace to be fun and enjoyable, my intent behind this is deadly serious. Why? Because it will mean my company performs better. If you´re still unconvinced, even with the benefits I´ve listed, don´t just take my word for it. Here are some research projects that back up the power of creating a fun workplace.
The Fun Theory
This project is a treasure trove of videos that will not only make you grin, but also get those gears in your head turning. See more here to see what you can achieve by making things fun.
The Levity Effect
This book unravels the science behind why lightening up can lead to higher productivity. It’s a must-read for anyone looking to add a dash of delight to their work but who also wants to see results.
Great Place to Work Institute
The Great Place to Work Institute has some valuable articles. Their research has also shown that ´great´ businesses – the ones that are soaring high – have one thing in common – they know how to have a good time!
Their whole philosophy is worth remembering: the path to ´Great´ness starts not by being great, but by having the right conditions to be great.
The Fish Philosophy
This is a personal favourite of mine, so make sure to check out the videos on YouTube, and you can even buy the book!
The Fish Philosophy is a business technique that is aimed at creating happy individuals in the workplace. The technique focuses on strengthening trust, teamwork and engagement – the foundation your team needs to excel. The idea is that people are more engaged when they’re having a good time and they are more committed to live what they’ve learned.
It is easy to change how people do stuff, if we make it fun.
Crafting an environment that’s brimming with laughter and positivity can be tricky, but oh, the rewards are sweet! It’s not just about the giggles and high-fives; it’s about elevating every facet of the business to a whole new level.
So, how do you start having fun in the workplace? Well, it all starts with a shift in perspective: that work can be fun, not tedious! Then, you have to find ways to develop the fun and build positive energy.
But remember: fun should be a shared experience! It’s not about forcing laughter; it’s about creating an inclusive atmosphere where everyone feels part of the joy and can reap the rewards.
Would you like to put the words ´fun´ and ´work´ together?
If you want to achieve better results for your business by creating a fun workplace, get in touch! We can show you the world of difference it will make to your business.
Phone: 01234 752 566, or
Email: [email protected]